The US Housing Crisis in 2500 Words

This article is one of the most concise and on point articulations of the current state of the housing crisis in the US.  However, one thing that is not mentioned is the impact durability and energy efficiency has on residents.  When "affordable housing" gets built, it tends to be less than top notch quality and scores quite poor on energy efficiency.   These two factors have a direct impact on the total affordability of the home.  Energy bills on a poorly insulated home can run $200 a month or more.  

At indieDwell we are focused on building durable, energy efficient, healthy and sustainable homes as a solution to the affordable housing crisis.  

Please take a minute to read this article to better understand the current crisis.  



Pete Gombert
The Affordable Housing Crisis is Pervasive

Affordable housing is sometimes seen as an issue which is contained in large cities, but we hear from cities large and small across the country on a daily basis.  Two recent articles, one in the Wall Street Journal and another in the New York Times demonstrate the pervasiveness of need in the U.S. right now and it is going to be difficult to put the genie back in the bottle.  We need to start thinking differntly about how we construct housing and how we provide affordable solutions.  

New York Times Article

Pete Gombert
Denver feels the strain of a housing shortage

Denver has experienced explosive growth over the past 20 years and is struggling to meet the demand for housing.  In the articles below the Denver Post summarizes the issues which have been studied more acutely by the Shift Research Lab in conjunction with Phyllis Resnick PhD.  At the same time we are seeing reasons for hope because the market is responding.  The recently announced Elevation Community Land Trust is based on an innovative model of financing which will allow the homeowner to capture some of the appreciation of the home and help to break the unfortunate cycle which plagues low income homeowners. 

While this could be easily viewed as a Denver problem, we see this same situation plaguing nearly every city in the country.  At indieDwell we are hopeful to be a major part of the solution.  The homebuilders association estimates that 78% of the cost of a new home is in the construction with the remaining 22% coming from land and permitting.  The cost of an indieDwell unit is 20 to 50% below a traditional site built home of the same quality. 

We are committed to playing a major role in helping to solve the affordable housing crisis.  Please take a look at the articles below and contact us if you would like to learn more.

Denverโ€™s chronic housing shortage may peak this year with deficit of 32,000 homes and apartments

Shift Research Labs Report - Factors Impacting Affordable Housing

700 homes in 5 years: Metro Denver homeownership initiative has raised $24 million to help low-income families

Pete Gombert
The need for affordable housing is not just for low income workers

The article below highlights the increasing need for affordable housing in one of the wealthiest and most progressive places in the country - Silicon Valley.  The need is dramatic in almost every large city.  We are hoping progressive cities will partner with us to produce high quality, sustainable, durable and affordable housing for everyone.  

If you are involved in affordable housing initiatives and would like to learn more please contact us.




Pete Gombert